Yoga for anxiety
Lets understand what is anxiety.
Anxiety is a normal response to stress or danger, often referred to as the "fight or flight" response. It is a feeling of apprehension or fear about what is to come. Anxiety can be a natural and adaptive response to stressful situations, helping to alert us to potential danger and prepare us to respond appropriately. However, when anxiety becomes excessive or prolonged, it can interfere with daily life and become a mental health disorder. Anxiety symptoms can include feelings of unease or worry, physical sensations such as sweating or trembling, racing thoughts or difficulty concentrating, and avoidance of certain situations or objects. Anxiety can be treated through therapy, medication, or a combination of both.
- Yoga is a great for reducing anxiety and stress.
- Yoga may promote relaxation,
- Yoga may calm the mind,
- Yoga may help to form the mind-body connection
- Yoga brings us into ‘now’
Yoga for anxiety we can use:
- Simple breath awareness practices e.g. notice your breath for few moments
- Guided relaxations and meditations, eg. 5 to 10 mind guided meditations & relaxation practices
- Asana or gentle physical movement done with awareness e.g slow gentle movements with lots of awareness.
- Practices like restorative yoga where you hold poses for long period of time with lots of support using props. It is such a relaxing practice that it relaxes our whole system.
- For mediation practice, mantra meditation or guided meditation is helpful to reduce anxiety.
Regular yoga and meditation practice is the key. Remember that yoga is a practice, and it may take time to see the benefits. Consistency is key, so try to make yoga a regular part of your routine. If you have any concerns about practicing yoga with anxiety or any other health condition, consult with your healthcare provider first.
Ayurveda, a holistic medicine system from India, offers various natural remedies for anxiety. Here are some Ayurvedic practices that may help reduce anxiety:
- Yoga: Practicing yoga can help balance the body and mind, reducing anxiety symptoms. Certain yoga poses, such as child's pose, downward dog, and the corpse pose, can be particularly helpful.
- Meditation: Ayurveda recommends daily meditation to calm the mind and promote relaxation. This can include sitting in a quiet space and focusing on your breath or repeating a calming mantra.
- Aromatherapy: Using essential oils such as lavender, chamomile, and ylang-ylang can help promote relaxation and reduce anxiety symptoms.
- Dietary changes: Ayurveda recommends eating a healthy, balanced diet to support overall health and reduce stress. Avoiding caffeine, alcohol, and processed foods can also help reduce anxiety.
It is important to note that yoga and Ayurvedic remedies should not replace medical treatment for anxiety. If you are experiencing severe anxiety, it is essential to seek help from a mental health professional.
Sunita can help you set a personalised yoga & ayurveda practices for your system and your wellness goal.
Book a 15 min free session by clicking the link below and choose “Wellness Clarity Call” https://app.10to8.com/book/rhxlvkwypahspuqdln/Kind Regards,